Further UI tweaks in r986

Discuss the development and future direction of Play.
sbooth
Site Admin

Further UI tweaks in r986

Post by sbooth » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:58 am

In my quest for a place to locate the volume control, I decided to take a different route. I ended up relocating all the player controls, playback ordering controls, the new volume control and the search field to a toolbar. I believe this is good for several reasons: it is customizable, so gives the users more control over the appearance of their app, and the toolbar can be hidden to save window real estate.

Here is a shot of the way things are now:

The only thing I don't like the the way the volume control looks, with the speaker icon off to the right. I am considering removing the icon entirely.

I'd appreciate any reactions/critiques/compliments/comments on the new layout.

Fuga

Re: Further UI tweaks in r986

Post by Fuga » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:44 am

I love it! Brilliant.

Most of my stuff is classical. The tag for Artist can get quite long when there is conductor, orchestra, chorus, soloists, etc. Your new layout maximizes space. Some folks might think there's wasted space though. Hmmm ... show Artwork? If so, I'd like it "showable" via keystroke and/or toolbar icon for the reasons of that space otherwise needed sometimes.

I am a huge fan of customizable toolbars. On one screen I have Play open all the way and so adding a bunch of spaces to the left of the controls, between the volume slider, and to the left of the Search field makes them all very neat looking and functional to big mouse sweeps.

As for the speaker icon? I think you need something to denote what the slider is (even if we all know). I think the "standard" as is in iTunes and Cog is better looking. Shoot, I wasn't even sure what the icon was until I read "speaker."

Thanks for the work.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:51 pm

It is a good decision to move the controls to the toolbar. However, I think the window will look better, more elegant, if the contents of the window were aligned with the toolbar elements as shown in this picture. I also added a suggestion for better speaker icons, I can send the drawings if you like them.
(Sorry for posting such a large window picture.)

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:33 am

RonaldPR wrote:It is a good decision to move the controls to the toolbar. However, I think the window will look better, more elegant, if the contents of the window were aligned with the toolbar elements as shown in this picture. I also added a suggestion for better speaker icons, I can send the drawings if you like them.
I have these speaker icons:
I would be interested to try the blue ones you had in your screenshot as well.