Suggestion: Behaviour of "Artist" column

Discuss the development and future direction of Play.
Milkmaster

Suggestion: Behaviour of "Artist" column

Post by Milkmaster » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:37 pm

I have a suggestion concerning how the "Artist" column in the library view should behave. First, it may be helpful to explain, that I have my music sorted in the following way: (text in angle brackets denotes a tag field)

<album artist>(if present, else just <artist>)/
<date> - <album>/
<tracknumber>( - <artist>,only if there's already an <album artist>) - <track title>

For an album-oriented collection, including compilation discs, I find this quite sensible and useful. Unfortunately with Play I can't sort the library view this way, as the "Artist" column only takes the artist field into account and not album artist.
Would it be possible for the column to display the album artist, if the field is present and to sort according to it? As an added challenge it would be perfect if the column would also display the track artist ( in parenthesis behind the album artist, for example) but ignore it on sorting.
It would be great to be able to sort it this way in the library as an option. It really doesn't have to be The Way™ to do it, as I understand that it's not the best way for people organising it another way (or not at all).

RonaldPR

Re: Suggestion: Behaviour of "Artist" column

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:55 pm

Have you tried adding the 'Album Artist' column?
You can add or remove columns in the header contextual menu (right-click or control-click on the column headers). You can also determine the order in which the columns appear by adding them in the desired order.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:58 pm

Milkmaster wrote:Would it be possible for the column to display the album artist, if the field is present and to sort according to it? As an added challenge it would be perfect if the column would also display the track artist ( in parenthesis behind the album artist, for example) but ignore it on sorting.
This is possible to add, but I'm not sure if it would be a generally useful feature or not. Perhaps it would be useful to have three artist columns: Album Artist, Track Artist (renamed from the current Artist column) and a new aggregate Artist column, which could act in the way you describe, showing both Album and Track artist in a similar way to the Disc and Track columns. I'd be curious to hear feedback from others on this.

Milkmaster

Post by Milkmaster » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:22 pm

RonaldPR wrote:Have you tried adding the 'Album Artist' column?
First thing I tried. Unfortunately most of the time (i.e. when there's no album artist) it doesn't display anything and is just a big waste of space.
Stephen, your solution with the three columns sounds great to me, would circumvent the need to have a special option.
Like I said, for album-centered collections it would definitely be useful, but I'd also be very interested in people's opinions.

On another note, could you maybe have a look at remembering the sorting criteria? r901 doesn't remember the last column i clicked on (also if I made a "sorting chain" by clicking specific columns one after another, of course) and always starts with sorting by album.