Volume issues

Discuss the development and future direction of Play.
andys

Volume issues

Post by andys » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:14 pm

Hi,

I've been using play pretty extensively over the last couple of months and have a couple of pet gripes that I feel need looking at:

1. It's too loud. There's no way to change the volume so when pushing the audio out though Airfoil there's distortion on some albums (Icky Thump is a good example). Since there's no way to adjust the volume it's not really possible to use Play in this situation.

2. Play is extremely prone to skipping if the system is under any type of stress. iTunes and Cog don't seem to suffer from this particular ailment so I'm hopeful this is something that could be remedied in the future.

3. The last thing I'd like to see is more intuitive playlist management. With a massive library this is an area I'd love to see improved.

I guess I should wrap up with what I do like about Play:

1. Plays all formats (Flac & Wavpack make up the bulk of my library)
2. Handles huge libraries very nicely (as opposed to say Songbird)

Many thanks for coding this App. Us Flac users would be pretty much high and dry without it (and cog of course)!

Andy

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Volume issues

Post by sbooth » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:31 am

andys wrote:I've been using play pretty extensively over the last couple of months and have a couple of pet gripes that I feel need looking at:

1. It's too loud. There's no way to change the volume so when pushing the audio out though Airfoil there's distortion on some albums (Icky Thump is a good example). Since there's no way to adjust the volume it's not really possible to use Play in this situation.
Play's gain/volume is always unity, unless modified by Replay Gain. If a file is clipping it's likely because it is being amplified further down the audio chain.

A volume adjustment is a frequently requested feature, and is relatively simple to implement. I will likely add one for the next release.
2. Play is extremely prone to skipping if the system is under any type of stress. iTunes and Cog don't seem to suffer from this particular ailment so I'm hopeful this is something that could be remedied in the future.
Which version of Play have you been having problems with? The way audio is handled internally changed completely from 0.1.2 to the latest unstable build. If your problems are with 0.1.2, could you try the unstable and see how it works for you?
3. The last thing I'd like to see is more intuitive playlist management. With a massive library this is an area I'd love to see improved.
Any clarification or explanation of what specifically you would be looking for?
I guess I should wrap up with what I do like about Play:

1. Plays all formats (Flac & Wavpack make up the bulk of my library)
2. Handles huge libraries very nicely (as opposed to say Songbird)
Out of curiosity, how large is your library?

andys

Post by andys » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:12 am

A volume adjustment is a frequently requested feature, and is relatively simple to implement. I will likely add one for the next release.
Great. I take your point about the volume amplification within the track but Icky thump was a straight EAC/REACT2 rip. Apparently this is becoming commonplace - bumping up the 'volume' during production.
Which version of Play have you been having problems with? The way audio is handled internally changed completely from 0.1.2 to the latest unstable build. If your problems are with 0.1.2, could you try the unstable and see how it works for you?
I'm using 0.1.3b. One way to recreate the issue to to ramp up disc I/O - copying around large files should do it. Play starts to skip for me in this situation.

In regards to the playlist management - I think I'm just used to being able to view playlists by default. I guess I only got used to the browser drawer recently so I didn't even know they were there. My problem really - I'll start using playlists more over the next week and feedback anything relevant.
Out of curiosity, how large is your library?
About 20K songs. Is that a lot? It's all relative I guess... :-)

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:27 am

andys wrote:I'm using 0.1.3b.
There are many versions of 0.1.3b, I think Stephen (sbooth) is more interested in which revision you are using. The latest is r901.

andys

Post by andys » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:34 am

Ah, sorry. I am using r901.