dragging .ac3 file causes some system hiccups!

Discuss the development and future direction of Play.
SciFi

dragging .ac3 file causes some system hiccups!

Post by SciFi » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:33 pm

ah-oh

I was messin’ around with an .ac3 file that Squared5’s MPEG Streamclip demux’d for me from an iRecord .ts file. Streamclip & QTPlayer play the file fine, as does VLC (stable & latest public trunk build). iTunes-7.3 refused to add the .ac3 file to its playlist, tho.

And then I dragged the .ac3 file into the latest Play.app build (r880; we really need some “build number” info in its About box). Play.app did a pull-down sheet with the animated barber pole saying “Adding files to library…” but that’s all it did, and mashing the Cancel button there does nothing, while the barber pole keeps spinnin’. I got a clue and found this in the console.log:

Code: Select all

2007-07-04 13:53:06.902 Play[25505] *** Assertion failure in -[CoreAudioPropertiesReader readProperties:], /Users/me/Development/Play-svn/Audio/Properties/CoreAudioPropertiesReader.m:126
2007-07-04 13:53:06.902 Play[25505] *** Canceling drag because exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException' (reason 'AudioFormatGetProperty failed: fmt?') was raised during a dragging session
(nothing in system.log related to this)

Would you/anyone like to try this .ac3, too? I’m going to try posting the .ac3 to the Usenet newsgroup alt.binaries.test.yenc for others around the world to have a crack at it (I don’t do p2p or the file-sharing sites). I don’t see a related report in your bug-tracker here – will the tracker let me put the file up in a bug-report? Finder Info says it’s only 1.1MB (1,109,760 bytes).

I’m running a new iMac 24-inch Intel Core2 Duo 2.16GHz. I’ve yet to get everything on it XCode-wise & other projects as I did the G4 & G5 systems I had. So this is almost vanilla OSX, with Xiph’s & a few other QT components installed.

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Darwin scifi.homeip.net 8.10.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.10.1: Wed May 23 16:33:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.22.5~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386
… heh, that barber pole is still spinnin’ … guess it’s time to force-kill it…

Thanks for any help.