What i would like to see

Discuss the development and future direction of Play.
mikepenn

What i would like to see

Post by mikepenn » Thu May 17, 2007 11:37 pm

Thanks for making such great software for the MAC. I just downloaded "Play" and so far it looks good. There are a couple of things I would like to see.

1) Support for album art

2) A button on the player itself that opens and closes the browser

3) A "size" option in the colums.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: What i would like to see

Post by sbooth » Fri May 18, 2007 1:34 am

mikepenn wrote:Thanks for making such great software for the MAC. I just downloaded "Play" and so far it looks good. There are a couple of things I would like to see.

1) Support for album art

2) A button on the player itself that opens and closes the browser

3) A "size" option in the colums.
Album art support is in the planning stage. I haven't decided how I would like to do this, but it will be added in the future.

Can you elaborate on #3 a little bit? Do you mean file size in bytes?

mikepenn

Post by mikepenn » Fri May 18, 2007 1:42 am

Yes, file size

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Fri May 18, 2007 9:02 am

mikepenn wrote:2) A button on the player itself that opens and closes the browser
I support this request, I asked for it before.
Also, I would like the browser status (hidden or shown) be saved between launches.
Last edited by RonaldPR on Fri May 18, 2007 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Remain

Post by Remain » Fri May 18, 2007 9:10 am

I third the browser button and second the remembered browser status. ;p

pragmatik

Post by pragmatik » Fri May 18, 2007 1:19 pm

I have a few suggestions, not in the order of importance:

1. A text-only interface would be supersweet.

2. There is a lot of wasted space on the layout. Only visible elements necessary are previous, play/pause, stop, next and searchbar. Optional display of cover art should be enabled from the menus. Which by the way are always there on OSX so why not use them for less important functionality?

3. Playlist-only mode for that occasional listening & random files. There is no reason to litter the library, which needs optimization.

4. ability to set priority of sorting (including directory & filename)

5. configurable guessing of metadata information from filename or if impossible, simple configurable display of directory & filename. One could configure how many levels of directories to show.

6. Musicbrainz & freedb support for fast tagging.

A few sidenotes:

Every application I know that is supposed to be used for automatic altering/fixing of metadata is either cumbersome beyond human comprehension or otherwise lacking.

Since metadata handling & scrubbing is a repulsive task, broken files set demands on the audioplayers that have to cope with the lacking metadata.

I understand that for some reason foobar's minimalism and functionality, if sometimes excess, is waved off with the "closed source"-card or childish "use windows, m$ lover"-remarks, but if an existing audioplayer is to be used for reference when working on an alternative audioplayer for mac, I would steer clear of iTunes and focus on achieving something comparable to foobar. Why?

There are two reasons: there's already Songbird, which essentially is a bloated browser with a not so good mp3 player - so let's forget about the iTunes. The second reason is, that no matter what people think about the Foobar2000, it is very good - If not best. Even for tagging.
KISS.

z15

Post by z15 » Sat May 19, 2007 3:59 pm

1. A text-only interface would be supersweet.
it would be cool. not too important for my use though so not #1 on my list. ability to configure a really ascetic and slim graphical interface would be nice though:
2. There is a lot of wasted space on the layout. Only visible elements necessary are previous, play/pause, stop, next and searchbar.
this would be really nice - one of my main gripes with iTunes (aside it trying to be too many apps in one and being bloated) is that there is just the HUGE and the INSANELY TINY modes, first of which usually has too much info and the second one way too little. play is a lot better in this sense and i don't really have a problem with the screen estate taken, but it could still be nice to have a more compact / customizable interface in some future version.
3. Playlist-only mode for that occasional listening & random files. There is no reason to litter the library, which needs optimization.
wouldn't be bad at all either, for all those random plays, snippets and so on. maybe a global option to disable adding tracks to library (and only add them to play queue) unless they were explicitly dragged to the library area. so everything added from finder would just be added to the queue by default.

i understand that the idea behind play is to be a "media library -oriented" player (and the core data backend already pretty much kicks ass), but IMHO this is one thing that might be worth to be configurable, if it doesn't mess up the ideology and implementation too much.
4. ability to set priority of sorting (including directory & filename)
agreed, if you mean multiple sorting columns (like "sort by directories, then filenames", or "sort first by artist, then by album and finally by track number"). the former example would be super useful when tagging and the latter when just browsing the library for some nice album to listen to.

it may be that something like this could be done in the current UI already, but i haven't figured out how.
5. configurable guessing of metadata information from filename or if impossible, simple configurable display of directory & filename. One could configure how many levels of directories to show.
6. Musicbrainz & freedb support for fast tagging.
agreed on both points. there doesn't really seem to be a good, fast and stable allround tagger for OSX at the moment... musorg was alright but kind of unstable and didn't seem to support some formats, tag seems promising but doesn't support mp3 which is probably the main format aside flac for me, et cetera et cetera.

oh, one thing that i would really love myself is more flexible filter search in the library. meaning:
1) all possible fields (including filename) included in the search: would enable filtering with a part of the filename common for an album, and then tagging the results properly
2) every word (or every part of the search string separated with a whitespace) would be a separate filter term: this is how iTunes works and one of the few things i really like about it. i can for example type "bea revo" and the result would be all tracks from album revolver by beatles. with the current play implementation, i get an empty result since none of the single fields matches *bea revo*

i have to agree that foobar2000 is pretty much the "benchmark" audio player. it's slim, awesomely elegant AND powerful & configurable, which is pretty rare. of course it has lots of development time behind it already but the developer has clearly chosen a good path. it doesn't have everything, but you can customize it to be lots of different things and it doesn't get messy or intimidating.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sun May 20, 2007 2:57 pm

I wrote:
mikepenn wrote:2) A button on the player itself that opens and closes the browser
I support this request, I asked for it before.
Also, I would like the browser status (hidden or shown) be saved between launches.
It would be nice if at least the browser status was saved between launches. After I start Play, the first thing I do is show the browser drawer and I usually keep it that way.

Maurits

Post by Maurits » Mon May 21, 2007 1:17 pm

sbooth wrote:Album art support is in the planning stage. I haven't decided how I would like to do this, but it will be added in the future.
Is it possible to restore the old way in the mean time? Displaying the art where the logo is now may have been small but I liked it, and it is better than nothing.

mikepenn

Post by mikepenn » Tue May 22, 2007 1:38 am

Since this is a "audiophile" type of player how about a "label" column too.

IE Blue Note, Columbia, Verve, etc

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Tue May 22, 2007 9:04 am

mikepenn wrote:Since this is a "audiophile" type of player how about a "label" column too.

:?:
Does a 'label' tag exist?

Maurits

Post by Maurits » Tue May 22, 2007 9:12 am

RonaldPR wrote:
mikepenn wrote:Since this is a "audiophile" type of player how about a "label" column too.

:?:
Does a 'label' tag exist?
TPUB, for 'publisher' is the closest one I can find among ID3v2.4 frames. Since not a lot of other apps will read this, using it may be a bit pointless, it would only work in Play. One could always try to set a standard of course. 8)

Ghost_Danser

Post by Ghost_Danser » Thu May 24, 2007 3:54 pm

pragmatik wrote:The second reason is, that no matter what people think about the Foobar2000, it is very good - If not best. Even for tagging.
I have to second this. IMHO I think that Foobar2000, in its .9.x development, has become the reference music application for the Windows environement. What I cannot do in Foobar2000 I can do in mp3tag (and this is purely a workflow problem) and EAC.

There are some reasons that I cannot reject a Windows environment completely and Play is starting to eliminate one of those barriers :)