More feature requests

Discuss the development and future direction of Play.
RonaldPR

More feature requests

Post by RonaldPR » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:25 pm

Three more feature requests for people like me who use the mouse more than the keyboard:

1. One can drag tracks into the window to add it to Play Queue and/or Library and one can drag a track from Library to the Play Queue. It would be nice if one could also remove tracks by dragging them from the window.

2. Couldn't there be a way to show or hide the browser drawer by clicking somewhere in the window, maybe at the side of the window?

3. Play is essentially a one-window application. Can the red close-button be made available to quit Play, like with Apple's i-applications?

Remain

Post by Remain » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:18 pm

I agree with 2.

3... I was going to suggest allowing the window to be closed, but Play would stay open and playing, a la iTunes.

But minimize sorta does that.

Hmm... is there any advantage that closing the window has that minimizing it doesn't?

I would also suggest: make the minimum width and height of the window smaller.
Right now, even at its smallest, it's still pretty darn big.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: More feature requests

Post by sbooth » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:11 am

RonaldPR wrote:Three more feature requests for people like me who use the mouse more than the keyboard:

1. One can drag tracks into the window to add it to Play Queue and/or Library and one can drag a track from Library to the Play Queue. It would be nice if one could also remove tracks by dragging them from the window.

2. Couldn't there be a way to show or hide the browser drawer by clicking somewhere in the window, maybe at the side of the window?

3. Play is essentially a one-window application. Can the red close-button be made available to quit Play, like with Apple's i-applications?
Implementing one is very difficult (if not impossible) due to the way drag and drop is implemented in Cocoa. I think this would necessitate a drag target, such as a trash can. It might be more trouble than it's worth.

Two is easily doable- finding space and making it look decent are the hard parts.

I just added three. The only weird situation is if you close the main window while the preferences are open, Play won't quit, but you don't get the main window back. In this case Play quits when the preference window closes.

RonaldPR

Re: More feature requests

Post by RonaldPR » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:56 pm

sbooth wrote:Implementing one is very difficult (if not impossible) due to the way drag and drop is implemented in Cocoa. I think this would necessitate a drag target, such as a trash can. It might be more trouble than it's worth.
OK
Two is easily doable- finding space and making it look decent are the hard parts.
I am sure I have seen it before in other apps, but I do not remember which ones: A couple of short vertical lines or quasi 3D ridges in the middle of the sides of the window that, when clicked, would open or close the drawer. Does not spoil the appearance and takes no extra space.
I just added three. The only weird situation is if you close the main window while the preferences are open, Play won't quit, but you don't get the main window back. In this case Play quits when the preference window closes.
Maybe it should be like in the iApps, where it is not possible to access the main window when the preferences window is open.