Import function problems

Get help on playing your audio with Play.
sunfish62

Import function problems

Post by sunfish62 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:18 am

I tried importing all my FLAC files in one pass, by selecting the base directory (/FLAC) that holds my various music. Within the base directory are directories for each artist, and then within each artist, for each album--as is standard in most digital music archives (e.g., /FLAC/Beatles/Revolver). My FLAC folder is overall about 40Gb in size, so the library is not overly large.

However, the "Adding files to your library" prompt displayed for over 12 hours before I finally gave up and Apple-quit out of the program (the Cancel button did nothing).

Now, I cannot get Play to import any folders, even if I specify the Revolver folder above.

So, I have two questions:

1) Does Play actually support recursive importing, or do I have to import individual songs, one at a time?

and

2) Is it possible that I have corrupted something in Play such that it will not import any files now?

I am using Play 0.3 under Leopard 10.5.8

TIA,
David

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Import function problems

Post by sbooth » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:58 pm

Play does supports recursive importing. For a 40 GB library there is no reason things should take > 12 hours! I'm not sure why you're having problems. You could try initially one folder at a time to see if things are actually working- but it's doubtful you corrupted something to break this functionality.

sunfish62

Post by sunfish62 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:23 am

For what it's worth, I have found that if I select folders in Finder and drag them into the library, the files are added. After this, an import of a single artist folder with an album sub-folder worked quickly.

As an experiment, I cleared my library and tried reimporting all the files in my FLAC hierarchy. This had the same bad result. A little more experimentation shows me that the import function hangs on cue files (created, ironically, by Rip). If I try to import a folder with a cue file, the importing dialog hangs, and I must Apple-Q out. None of the files in that import appear in the library subsequently. If I select only the flac files, the songs go right in; if I import the log file, Play is fine; but if I pull the cue file, it hangs. I tried this with several cue files with the same result.

I am not sure what purpose the cue files serve (the metadata included there seems pretty basic), and I imagine I could just delete them and have no troubles. I don't know if there is something about my own cue files that makes them problematic. I can't imagine that I'm the only one who has them around, so it must be something with my cue files that makes them hang up Play.

sunfish62

Post by sunfish62 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:20 am

I'm not sure my previous reply on this thread got through. It's not showing up.

The upshot of my tests shows that the problem in Play has to do with the .cue files. Play lurches to a halt when it encounters one on import. I'm pretty sure that shouldn't happen.

tbattley

Post by tbattley » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:13 pm

The silence on this issue is very loud.
So If I have a large library on a NAS and every single folder has a .cue file, then I have to import them all one at a time?
I think the silence would indicate "yes."