Output and DSP options

Get help on playing your audio with Play.
santino

Output and DSP options

Post by santino » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:48 am

Looking for some help with the Output and DSP tabs in the preferences.

What does the pre-amplification slider do?

Does the clipping protection apply just to ReplayGain adjustments or to the final output? I assume any DSP additions are added after ReplayGain, so does any increase in gain in the DSP section risk clipping, or will the clipping protection apply to the DSP additions? Is there an Audio Unit (Apple or third-party) to monitor clipping?

I tried adding some Audio Units to my path for Audio plug-ins (tried the system path too), but they don't show up in Play. do they have to go somewhere special?

Thanks in advance.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Output and DSP options

Post by sbooth » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:03 am

The preamp applies to all of Play's audio output- before a file is played the output gain is set to this value.

The clipping prevention only applies to files with replay gain information. For files with RG info, the peak is read, and if the peak would clip with the current preamp value the gain is reduced (if the option is enabled).

For monitoring clipping, Apple has AUDynamicsProcessor but I'm not sure that you would be able to use that for real-time monitoring of whether the audio was clipping.

Play only supports effects units- I'm not sure why your third-party AUs aren't showing up. Are there any messages in the console log?

dkagedal

Post by dkagedal » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:51 pm

I tried using the preamp slider a couple of days ago (but I'm not using bleeding-edge Play) and it didn't seem to make any difference.

I was using an external M-Audio FastTrack Pro USB soundcard with no software-controllable volume. Could that be the problem? My problem was that I had to turn the hardware volume all the way to the top and was wondering if there was a way to get some extra boost if I needed it.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:44 pm

The preamp will only be effective if you have enabled Replay Gain. Even with no software volume control I believe the preamp should still work, because it is increasing the gain on the audio that play sends to the hardware.

Maybe the files you tested with had a RG close to -6 dB and the effect of the preamp was canceled out?