Watch folder (I think) makes Play crash

Get help on playing your audio with Play.
bichenoubi

Watch folder (I think) makes Play crash

Post by bichenoubi » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:22 am

I setted a watch folder on my library folder and since then, when I try to launch Play, it "jumps" in the dock, then stops and nothing more happens.

When I execute Play in terminal, this is what I get.

Code: Select all

Play[334:10b] *** Assertion failure in -[AudioStreamManager streamForURL:startingFrame:frameCount:], /Users/me/Development/Play-svn/Database/AudioStreamManager.m:193
2008-02-11 21:18:13.647 Play[334:10b] Invalid parameter not satisfying: nil != frameCount
If I unmount the disk on which my library is on, an then start play, Play doesn't crash and then I can remove the watch folder. Next time I will start Play with disk mounted, it will launch correctly. So it is surely watch folder that makes it crash.

I'm using Play-r1072

bichenoubi

Re: Watch folder (I think) makes Play crash

Post by bichenoubi » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:42 pm

It still crashes with 1077.

It is quite anoying, I can't use watch folder anymore because of this.
Is there somebody who can help me with this ? I mean, I would like to help to resolve this bug by giving logs, but I need help too to do it.

bichenoubi

Post by bichenoubi » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:21 am

Hello ? Anybody ?

How can I discover what makes Play crash? Please.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:26 am

bichenoubi wrote:I setted a watch folder on my library folder
Maybe it's me or maybe it is your English, but I do not understand what you did. What does "setted a watch folder on my library folder" mean and what is your "library folder"?

bichenoubi

Post by bichenoubi » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:35 pm

Yeah it's my english. :lol:
What I meant was "to set" in past tense... which I now know is "set" even in past tense... :?
So, to come back to what I said, I have added a folder (the folder which contains all my music) to the watched folders of Play.
Everything was going fine and the "watch folders" feature was working correctly. Now, something has changed in my music folder that makes Play to crash when it scans my files at startup (the watch folder process).

This did not begin to happen when using a new version of Play, it happened I suppose when I added some new files in my music folder.
The source of the problem is probably a/some file(s) that Play doesn't like for some reason, but what are those files and why it makes Play crash, I don't know.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:46 pm

If you delete (or rename) ~/Library/Application Support/Play/Library.sqlite3 does the problem go away?

bystrouska

Post by bystrouska » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:25 pm

Hi, newbie here, thank you so much for developing these tools, they are so useful when dealing with FLAC files, I cannot imagine doing without them now!

Anyway, just wanted to say that I had the same issue as bichenoubi with the Watch folder making Play crash - or rather freeze upon opening -, and in my case trashing the Library.sqlite3 file (after force-quitting Play) did indeed solve the problem.

bichenoubi

Post by bichenoubi » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:26 pm

I deleted my sqlite file then tried to re-add all my music to the library, but the process runs indefinitely without adding any file. I know this because, I let it ran like 2 hours and because my external HD, where my music is, has no activity. And If i click cancel button in play, nothing happens like if Play is frozen. In terminal, I get the same output than in my first message.

bichenoubi

Post by bichenoubi » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:02 am

I found the problematic files. They were two flac files of a double album, each file being one of the CDs. They each had a cue file.
I don't know why, but Play could not play the flac files. Strangely, I have clear memories of adding them myself by hand into Play library and being able to play them.
Fortunately, Max could recognize the flac files, so I converted them to... flac ! Et voilà ! (I think you know that expression in English, in case, some kind of translation: Tada! It did the trick!)

On the side note, initialy, I also tried to convert the flac into individual tracks using the cue files. I got a strange result: in some songs at the begining, I had few seconds (like 2-3) of the end of the previous song... why?