Replay gain scan

Get help on playing your audio with Play.
Xou

Replay gain scan

Post by Xou » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:54 am

Hello there

I recently began to use play as my main music player, leaving iTunes taking the dust, and i'm happy.

I tried selecting my whole library then select "scan replay gain by track" but the process never finishes. I left it run one whole day on a new imac core2duo but it seems there is something wrong. It's still showing "calculating" but there is no cpu activity.
If i select just a few tracks and calculate, it works, and is using about 50% CPU power.
Is there is known bug when scanning a whole library (about 14000 songs)? What should i do to scan correctly my library?

On a related note, is it better to scan per album than individually?

Thanks for your input!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Replay gain scan

Post by sbooth » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:27 pm

I'm not aware of any bugs scanning large amounts of files, but I haven't ever tried it on that many files before. I'm working on making the RG code thread-safe so I can have a background scanning option.

I would recommend scanning your audio as albums if possible, because both track and album peaks and gains will be stored and for some albums you will get a better playback experience. Album gain will (should?) preserve more of the dynamics between tracks on the same album.

Xou

Re: Replay gain scan

Post by Xou » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:51 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Trying as Album tonight, will keep you posted.

By the way i noticed max doesn't know how to use the 2 processors. Any plans to build this in? Is it difficult? That would speed conversions a lot on dual processor machines.

Thanks!