Global Hotkeys (Quicksilver, Applescript?)

Get help on playing your audio with Play.
MattTomCarl

Global Hotkeys (Quicksilver, Applescript?)

Post by MattTomCarl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:10 pm

First off, I have to say that I'm *really* impressed with v0.2. With this version, it looks like I won't have to deal with installing all the KDE libraries just to get a decent audio player on OSX (I was originally thinking of using Amarok, which I also really like). Now, I've just got one detail left that I'd like to resolve: Global Hotkeys (i.e. for play/pause, next/previous, increase/decrease volume). If there's not a built-in way to do this, I was thinking that I could use my normal method of writing a little applescript for the relevant command, and then binding that script to a hotkey combo via Quicksilver. However, in order to do this, I would of course need to know what (if any) applescript commands I can use with Play. I'm hopeful that this will work since now (i.e. v0.2) my scripts to move/resize windows *do* work on Play (whereas they didn't before). So, if anyone knows any information about scripting Play, I'd love to hear it. Alternatively, if you've got another way of making global hotkeys, I'd like to hear that too.

Thanks.

RonaldPR

Re: Global Hotkeys (Quicksilver, Applescript?)

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:58 pm

Hot keys for play/pauze, next track and previous track can be set in Play preferences.

The scripting possibilities of Play can be viewed (as with any scriptable application) by opening its script dictionary. (In Script Editor choose "Open Dictionary..." from the File menu.) As far as I can see, changing the volume is not (yet) scriptable. Could be a new feature request, scriptable volume setting and volume hot keys.

MattTomCarl

Re: Global Hotkeys (Quicksilver, Applescript?)

Post by MattTomCarl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:34 pm

Thanks, RonaldPR! I can't believe I didn't know about that "open dictionary" feature in the script editor (I'm still a bit new to OSX). That helps a great deal.