Tagging multiple files?

Get help on playing your audio with Play.
z15

Tagging multiple files?

Post by z15 » Wed May 16, 2007 3:41 pm

First of all, thanks a LOT for Play. I've been looking for a good music player for OSX for a while - I don't like iTunes very much plus it's really lacking in the format support department, and Cog has been nice but pretty rough and unpredictable on my system so far. At some point I was even planning to start learning the OSX APIs and start developing my own db-backed player with CoreData... It was nice to notice someone else had done that already and some of the ideas are pretty much what I was planning!

Now, for the question. I've tried using Play for occasional tagging of albums by hand. Tag doesn't support mp3, Musorg and some others do but I still prefer to tag some things in the player manually when I'm browsing my collection. OK. I select multiple files in the Library, select "edit metadata", change a tag like artist or album, change to next field... and suddenly Play seems to update the tag for the files and leaves me with empty selection. This is already a bit confusing, but when I do a search for the tagged artist after this, Play appears to have tagged some wrong files!

For example: I select all tracks from Lenny White's album, "edit metadata", type the artist name Lenny White, move to next field... Play updates the fields and leaves me with empty selection. I click OK, do a search in the library for Lenny White and I find Play has tagged the last 4 tracks on the album plus three tracks from another album.

Is this a known "multiple file tagging might occasionally work, but it isn't officially working" type of bug or am I just doing something wrong?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat May 19, 2007 4:09 am

You are not doing anything wrong. Play should not be tagging the wrong files! I've done extensive improvement of the metadata handling since version 0.1.1 was released. Could you download r829 or later and see if you still have similar problems?

Concerning the selection changing, that is the default behavior for a table when a value is changed that is one of the columns that the table is sorted by. Actually it makes sense (in a way). Changing a value that is not one of the sort columns should not alter the selection.

z15

Post by z15 » Sat May 19, 2007 3:16 pm

sbooth wrote:You are not doing anything wrong. Play should not be tagging the wrong files! I've done extensive improvement of the metadata handling since version 0.1.1 was released. Could you download r829 or later and see if you still have similar problems?
tried with r829, it still happens. this time i took some pictures.

okay, i have the yo-yo ma version of bach's solo cello suites. but for some reason the album tag is missing in all the files. so i filter the library with "yo-yo", select all the files in the album from the library, select edit metadata and type in the album name, ending up with:

http://www.spcflts.net/misc/taggingprob1.jpg

i double-checked there were no other files selected. after that i move in to the next field, at which point play updates the tags and i end up with no / different selection. after that i press ok, and the previous filter has been disappeared - the whole library is showing again. now i filter for "bach". this is what i get:

http://www.spcflts.net/misc/taggingprob2.jpg

and scrolling down, there's even more tracks with the incorrect tag. note that there were no tracks in the library with that particular album name before i changed the tags.

http://www.spcflts.net/misc/taggingprob3.jpg

this might be something at least partially related to filtering the table and then tagging. after doing this experiment i corrected the rogue album tags without filtering (just by scrolling around the library) and the updating doesn't seem to cause any extra wrongly tagged tracks.
Concerning the selection changing, that is the default behavior for a table when a value is changed that is one of the columns that the table is sorted by. Actually it makes sense (in a way). Changing a value that is not one of the sort columns should not alter the selection.
yeah, it makes sense UI logic -wise in theory but it's still kind of irritating in real life when tagging. the problem, i think, is that the user (at least me) doesn't expect the values to be changed on the fly when tagging.

i mean, it's fine and logical that the selection gets changed after i click "OK" but it seems that play updates tags immediately when i hop to the next field in the metadata editor, so if i want to select a bunch of files and add the same artist and album tags to all of them, i have to first add the album tag, then click ok, find and reselect the files and add the artist tag.

and furthermore... here's an experiment:

sort by album field, select some files in the library, change their album name. now without pressing ok, change the artist name too. press ok. play has actually changed album name for the right files, then selected some other files and changed the artist name for them. THIS is weird.

i'm really beginning to think i'm doing something really wrong, since i would've thought someone had run into a similar problem. but if this is really a bug, at least a big part of it would be solved just by waiting until the user has finished editing all the metadata and clicked "ok", THEN updating the metadata for the files. it would streamline manual tagging a lot too, since if i tag several files at the same time, the "on the fly" tag changing takes some time after editing any field.

hope this helps at all.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat May 19, 2007 3:53 pm

OK, thanks for all the problem info. I've fixed the issue as far as I can tell in r831. Could you give it a try and let me know if it works properly?

z15

Post by z15 » Sat May 19, 2007 4:11 pm

tried to reproduce the problem with r831 for a few minutes with no success. plus now the selection seems to function like it should (doesn't change before i've finished tagging a set of files)

awesome, thanks!