Date format in Smart Playlists

Get help on playing your audio with Play.
k2103

Post by k2103 » Sat May 12, 2007 9:48 pm

Oh, it's not so simple!

Good for mai (in French), but for the others, I had to seek. :shock:

I do not see really logic, and we should not forget the accents and the “.”s

Janvier: janv.
Février: févr.
Mars: mars
Avril: avr.
Mai: mai
Juin: juin
Juillet: juil.
Août: août
Septembre: sept.
Octobre: oct.
Novembre: nov.
Décembre: déc.

N.B. It would be useful to add a column “Date Added” in the library

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sun May 13, 2007 9:02 am

I can indeed also make it work when I use the Dutch "mei" instead of "May": "mei 11, 2007". But that is no correct Dutch date format, it is an English date format with the month name translated.
Play should use the system settings for the date format, than it would not only have the month name correct, but also the format.

That is also true for the dates in the library columns: It uses mm/dd/yy, but in Dutch it should be d-m-yy. And so every language has its own date formats.

BTW: In these play list information panels in Play the OK button is blue but does not work if you type the date and next click OK.

k2103

Post by k2103 » Sun May 13, 2007 3:41 pm

You're right, it's the US date format. But it's the same for iTunes and many other programs.
It is difficult to be completly free of the American prevalence.

On the other hand, I obtain the good format in Playlist information and Track information (except the accents) :
Mercredi 9 mai 2007 19 h 47 min 12 s America/Montreal

BTW: I don't see the problem in your last remark.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun May 13, 2007 6:06 pm

Please download r804 and check the localization for number and date formats in the main and smart playlist information windows. They should now show the proper formatting depending on the locale settings from System Preferences.

I was a bit naieve in my localization code, which I've fixed for the aforementioned windows. I haven't yet gotten to the stream information window.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sun May 13, 2007 6:53 pm

sbooth wrote:Please download r804 and check the localization for number and date formats in the main and smart playlist information windows. They should now show the proper formatting depending on the locale settings from System Preferences.
Works fine now! :D
I was a bit naieve in my localization code, which I've fixed for the aforementioned windows. I haven't yet gotten to the stream information window.
Dates are fine in the track info window. Only the sample rate is not displayed correctly for my part of the world:
44,100 Hz should be 44.100 Hz.
In the Netherlands, as in may other European countries, the comma is used as decimal separator. Also this is set in the Formats tab in 'International' system preference pane.

k2103

Post by k2103 » Sun May 13, 2007 8:22 pm

Works fine too!

I get “07-05-11” in place of “Mai 11, 2007”.
It is still an english format, but it's the one defined in the 'International' system preference pane for French Canada. And it is simpler than the abbreviations for the months.

I am surprised by the format 44.100 Hz.
Here too, comma is used as decimal separator, but the period (.) is never used in the numbers and we use space as separator of thousands. Therefore:
44,100 Hz should be 44 100 Hz.
RonaldPR wrote:BTW: In these play list information panels in Play the OK button is blue but does not work if you type the date and next click OK.
If I understand your comment, I must say that I noted that I must press “Tab” before click “OK”. If not the entry is not capture.
Or, more simply, press Return

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sun May 13, 2007 8:34 pm

k2103 wrote:I am surprised by the format 44.100 Hz.
Here too, comma is used as decimal separator, but the period (.) is never used in the numbers and we use space as separator of thousands. Therefore:
44,100 Hz should be 44 100 Hz.
The format should follow the system settings. For you that will be "44 100 Hz", for me that will be "44.100 Hz" and for US that will be "44,100 Hz".
RonaldPR wrote:BTW: In these play list information panels in Play the OK button is blue but does not work if you type the date and next click OK.
If I understand your comment, I must say that I noted that I must press “Tab” before click “OK”. If not the entry is not capture.
Or, more simply, press Return
The same problem existed before in the dialog for adding a watch folder. It was solved in a later version. The same solution should be applied here.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sun May 13, 2007 8:36 pm

k2103 wrote:I get “07-05-11” in place of “Mai 11, 2007”.
It is still an english format, but it's the one defined in the 'International' system preference pane for French Canada. And it is simpler than the abbreviations for the months.
Play does now follow the settings in system preferences, even if that is a custom setting.

k2103

Post by k2103 » Sun May 13, 2007 9:32 pm

Thanks a lot.
I learned something. I had never used the custom setting.

But I think that, independently of the national questions, the format yy-mm-dd is most practical to get correct sorting.
Last edited by k2103 on Mon May 14, 2007 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon May 14, 2007 5:47 am

I'm uploading r812 which should fix all the localization issues that were reported- thank you for letting me know about these!

Also, the bug with the "contains" in the smart playlists has been fixed. Hopefully they will work as advertised now.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Mon May 14, 2007 8:47 am

Date and number formats are fine now.
'Contains' works as expected.

Only the bug still remains where one needs to use tab or return to save text or date in the smart playlist info panel. (The same bug that you solved for adding a watch folder.)

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Thu May 17, 2007 8:48 am

RonaldPR wrote:Only the bug still remains where one needs to use tab or return to save text or date in the smart playlist info panel. (The same bug that you solved for adding a watch folder.)
Solved in latest revision. Thanks. :D