Play on Lion

Discuss Play, an open source multi-format audio player.
daniel72

Play on Lion

Post by daniel72 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:10 pm

Hello
i jusing play for many years an really like it. some days ago i changed my system from snow leopart to lion and unfortunately play doesn´t works anymore.
what can i do?
thanks in advanced
daniel

mute_dammit

Re: Play on Lion

Post by mute_dammit » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:19 pm

My little music ecosystem is built around Play, so I was sad that it didn't work when I moved to Lion.

My system.log showed 2 important entries when Play started up:
* Illegal audio unit passed to setAudioUnit
* AudioUnitReset failed

I "fixed" this by bypassing the ComponentDescription tests setAudioUnit: in AudioScheduler.m, which seems safe enough since the AudioPlayer initialization checks for all possible errors.

On a probably related note, DSP displays are also pretty broken. Since I don't really use them, I didn't look into that.

starlir

Post by starlir » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:37 pm

Is there any way this code can be made available, I have the same problem. Is the author able to create a Lion compatible version?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:12 am

starlir wrote:Is there any way this code can be made available, I have the same problem. Is the author able to create a Lion compatible version?
I need to work on Lion compatibility for both Max and Play, but I don't really have enough time at the moment. It's something I plan on eventually, though.

hostep

Post by hostep » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi sbooth, while you are looking into the Lion issues, can you also take a look at the Last.fm client integration, since the new update from the Last.fm client today (version 1.5.4.28012) it doesn't pick up the songs played in Play anymore. Thanks!

svoop

Post by svoop » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi sbooth

I'm depending on Play for my little audio world as well, thus the question: Could you build a version with mute_dammit's workaround for the time being?

I've tried myself, but it doesn't build here - I'm not much of a Mac dev. As soon as Decibel has library support, I'd switch over.

Thanks a bunch!

mute_dammit

Post by mute_dammit » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:48 pm

I was PMed with a request for the binary, so here are all of the links you should need (32 bit Lion only).

Play r1079 at sourceforge:
https://playosx.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/playosx/

Patch to allow building a 32 bit version on Lion:
https://webspace.utexas.edu/mute/public/lion.patch

Resulting 32 bit Lion binary:
https://webspace.utexas.edu/mute/public ... ion_32.tbz

I should point out that my changes were based on the latest revision in subversion, r1079. I have no idea what features were introduced between 1079 and current git HEAD, and are therefore missing from my build. Also, it's probably worth pointing out that sbooth can't just apply this patch to the latest Play source and make everyone happy. I checked briefly, and the code has definitely evolved.

JanX2

Post by JanX2 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:27 am

I have been maintaining and improving Play for the past couple of years. Every time I was preparing a release though, something came up. New bugs, no time, etc.

After finally switching to Lion a few days a go, I realized that it wasn’t playing anything due to the issues described and fixed by mute_dammit. I ported the patch and improved some other code in the vicinity. It works for me. You can find the latest source here:
https://github.com/JanX2/Play/

If anyone wants a binary of the current state, I will build one and upload it to github!

JanX2

Post by JanX2 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:35 am

BTW: A huge thank you goes out to mute_dammit. Without his patch it would have taken me weeks to find the time to research the code changes necessary due to the deprecated Audio Unit APIs.

unv

Post by unv » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:17 am

Hi JanX2

I need your help!

>If anyone wants a binary of the current state, I will build one and upload it to github!

regerds
unv

jazzyguy

Post by jazzyguy » Sun May 13, 2012 12:41 am

Thank You mute_dammit ! I missed Play and wanted it since I moved to lion. I appreciate what you have done. I have Decibel but wanted Play.

mezkal

Post by mezkal » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi,

could anyone tell me, what do I have to do to make it work?
I mean I got this folder, and an xcode project in it, but how can I make it work as an app?

I'm not a code/programing type of guy, I'm just a musician… ;)
compiling, debugging etc is not one of my forces, so maybe you could help me with making it work on lion, pretty please…?

all bests

Adam

mikaelbystrom

Post by mikaelbystrom » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:09 pm

mezkai, you should only have to download the prebuilt 0.3 (1079M) binary* from https://webspace.utexas.edu/mute/public ... ion_32.tbz. I just did and Play plays on OS X 10.7.4.

*"Binary" means a built "application", source code is just code that still needs to be built. To build software can be easy but it also can be very very hard.

arbuz

Post by arbuz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Just wanted to download from https://webspace.utexas.edu/mute/public ... ion_32.tbz but I'm getting 404 Error;
can you point me to the right address; The above link is obsolete.
(32 bit Lion)

jrodman

Post by jrodman » Wed May 01, 2013 12:46 pm

My 10.6 macbook pro failed.
The replacement doesn't run 10.6

Play no longer works on the required 10.8. :-(((((

I purchased Decibel to get something going again with less nonsense than iTunes, but it lacks even the minimal features from Play like "play tracks from this Album."

How I wish Play would work again.