SMB share as watch folder

Discuss Play, an open source multi-format audio player.
svoop

SMB share as watch folder

Post by svoop » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:48 am

Hi

I've had my sound files on a server and shared it via sshfs so far - worked pretty well. However, the server will be retired soon and replaced with a router and an ext3 formatted USB drive that's shared via SMB (Samba). And that Play doesn't really seem to like.

When I add the watch folder, Play stalls - pretty normal as file reads are much slower over the net and the files to scan are pretty numerous. However, with sshfs it took maybe 5 minutes to scan whereas with SMB nothing happened for an hour. I've checked the contents of the sqlite streams table and it was still empty. So I guess Play has problems traversing the SMB share.

Has anybody experienced the same issue? Or if it works for you, would you mind to share your Samba settings?

Thanks! -sven

PS: The "add watch folder" menu is broken in the current unstable r1096, however, it's easy enough to do it either with the stable release or add the record manually to the db.

svoop

Re: SMB share as watch folder

Post by svoop » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:08 pm

Funky that is, it works now with the very same version of Play. Maybe some Samba setting I fumbled around with did the trick, but I wouldn't know which one.