Does Play use setting in Audio Midi setup?

Discuss Play, an open source multi-format audio player.
sidssp

Does Play use setting in Audio Midi setup?

Post by sidssp » Thu May 21, 2009 4:05 pm

I use a Benchmark DAC-1 with a Mac Mini. The Benchmark is capable of decoding 24/96 signal. I need to manually set the output format in Audio Midi Setup to 24bit 96Khz in order to play 24/96 hi res tracks from iTunes otherwise, hi res tracks will be down converted. Do I need to do the same for Play?

CG

Re: Does Play use setting in Audio Midi setup?

Post by CG » Thu May 21, 2009 9:08 pm

The ability to reset the sample rate and bit depth based on the file itself, rather than the default in Audio Midi setup would be BIG. That alone would get the attention of people who have lots of different high sample rate files.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu May 21, 2009 10:48 pm

Yes, you'll need to set your desired output manually using Audio/MIDI setup.

There was a discussion about this a while back on the core audio list and the take away lesson was that apps should not generally mess with a user's settings (ie reset the default output bit depth). This doesn't mean it isn't a good idea in certain instances, though.

CG

Post by CG » Thu May 21, 2009 11:38 pm

What might be really cool then would be an additional attached metadata entry or two that allowed the user to over ride the default setting in Audio Midi Setup. Like "Playback Sampling rate." Why not; there's metadata for everything else.

Let's say that you want to listen to a high resolution track from HDTracks. It would likely is in a 96 KHz 24 bit format. You'd obviously want to take advantage of that higher resolution during playback. But, if you have a bunch of ripped CDs, for example in aiff format, you may want to use 88.2 KHz 24 bit playback. Integer up-sampling is preferred by some people to running at 44.1 KHz or running at 96 KHz (not an integer). Right now you have to exit Play, reset the Audio Midi setting for whatever the new track is, and then start up again. Sub-optimally convenient...

CG

Post by CG » Fri May 22, 2009 1:09 am

Also... It was asked earlier about sample rate conversion. It's possible, for example, to set Audio Midid Set up to default the output to 88.2 KHz 24 bits if your USB device will support it. Ripped CD tracks are obviously resampled to make this work. It appears that the quality of this conversion can be set, at least in Leopard.

What're the possibilities?

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/vie ... 30&t=45889

rcp

Post by rcp » Sat May 30, 2009 5:53 am

Auto setting the sample rate depending on the audio track's properties would be very useful.
It would finally close the gap between Mac and Windows for me (I have PC for music only...and Foobar2000 has ASIO support that interfaces directly with the device, facilitating sample rate changes).

I would love such a feature to be implemented.