Is there a manual for Play - problem sorting

Discuss Play, an open source multi-format audio player.
Molate

Is there a manual for Play - problem sorting

Post by Molate » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:41 am

Is there a manual online anywhere for working with all the items in Play?

I am currently unable to sort songs by Title, Artist, Album, etc in the Play Queue window. Clicking on the column headings has no effect. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

M

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Is there a manual for Play - problem sorting

Post by sbooth » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:27 am

The play queue by design isn't sortable- the songs are played in the order they appear. It would be possible to add commands to "Sort Play Queue by Artist" etc. if there was enough interest.

ginopalletta

Post by ginopalletta » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:12 pm

it looks like a much requested feature... :)
i would like it very much!

giuseppe

SumOne

Post by SumOne » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:48 am

Greetings,

If there is a vote going on, I'd love a manual. If groveling or begging helps get one, I'll do that too :D I'm such a newbie at everything, any step-by-step helps a lot. I love the apparent simplicity of Play, but I get lost.

Hello to All, and much thanks for creating this.

Be Well, SO

olafmarzocchi

Post by olafmarzocchi » Fri May 29, 2009 6:41 pm

I understand the play list is not sortable, but when I drop a folder to such list, is it possible to have the tracks loaded always in the right order? Alphabetical would be the best. I don't use the library feature but I drop folders and I almost never get the songs in order, I have to reorganise them manually.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Fri May 29, 2009 7:42 pm

The Library can hold your song collection. In the Library list you can sort in may ways, and with the help of the Browser drawer you can show in the list selections based on several criteria. In the Queue list are only the songs you want to be played, added from the Library list. Double-clicking on a selection in the Library list will add the selection to the Queue list and will start playback if set to do so in preferences. You can add selections to the Queue list in the order you want them played. I imagine that the desired play order will usually not be alphabetically.

olafmarzocchi

Post by olafmarzocchi » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:11 am

Ok, the library can hold the songs, but let's suppose I have folders with albums or compilations, each one with the track number on the front. It would be much easier to simply drag the folder on the playlist and play, instead of having to create specific playlists in each software I use.
But anyway, the question is: why is the algorithm that adds songs to the queue (or to the library) not using the alphabetical order? many songs have the track number on front of them and having them added in the inverse order seems something strange to me to begin with.
What is the opinion of the developer(s)?

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:27 pm

The sort order in any column in Play can be reversed by clicking the triangle in the column label at the top. (This is standard behavior in lists in Mac applications.) You can also add or remove columns by right-clicking the label bar. Selecting different columns in succession will refine the sorting according to your needs.

Play is designed to manage, sort, organize, and play your music files. If you just want a player, look for a different application.

BTW: There is only one developer: Stephen Booth.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:13 pm

olafmarzocchi wrote:But anyway, the question is: why is the algorithm that adds songs to the queue (or to the library) not using the alphabetical order? many songs have the track number on front of them and having them added in the inverse order seems something strange to me to begin with.
The files are added in the order that the Finder presents them to Play; are you saying they are added in reverse alphabetical order for all drags?

olafmarzocchi

Post by olafmarzocchi » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:49 am

I wasn't able to reproduce it, but I found that
- if a folder is dropped, the order seems to be alphabetical
- if some songs are selected and dropped, the order is completely unrelated, surely not alphabetical and not following the order used during the selection of the tracks.

Fixx

Post by Fixx » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:43 pm

I cannot figure how to empty playlist queue (just flush it). Seems I can remove songs one by one, or simply quitting the program. Am I missing something or the application? :-)