Default icon for FLAC files

Discuss Play, an open source multi-format audio player.
RonaldPR

Re: Default icon for FLAC files

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:44 pm

I received your flac file. I can find nothing unusual about the file and as soon as it appeared on my machine in the Finder it had the score icon. I ran out of ideas, sorry.

dm1581

Post by dm1581 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:56 pm

Maybe the developer of the program could help with the issue? It looks like a program's problem, not a system's one...

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:56 am

I don't have many more ideas than RonaldPR. As long as you've verified that the executable bits are not set and that Play is the default application, the only other thing I can think of to try is to delete Play and reinstall it. It is possible that one of the icons became corrupted (you can always open the Play.app folder and look at the icons inside it, along with Info.plist to see which icon is being mapped to .flac files).

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:05 am

@ dm1581 :

Which Play version do you use? I use the latest 'unstable' version r1077. Maybe installing that one solves the problem.
http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1895
(For these builds, 'unstable' does not really mean they are unstable, just that it is not yet a release version. The fact that this is the latest version since February 8th, indicates that there was no urgent reason to make changes and that it is safe to use.)

dm1581

Post by dm1581 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:59 am

RonaldPR wrote:I use the latest 'unstable' version r1077. Maybe installing that one solves the problem.
sbooth wrote:It is possible that one of the icons became corrupted (you can always open the Play.app folder and look at the icons inside it, along with Info.plist to see which icon is being mapped to .flac files).
I downloaded both the latest stable and the r1077 version (still not installed them as I'm presently away from the computer) and looked at their contents. There are seven .icns files in Play.app/Contents/Resources, namely AIFF.icns, Generic.icns, Library.icns, MP3.icns, Ogg.icns, Play.icns, and WAV.icns. Notice that there is no ICNS file for FLAC!

(As I wrote earlier, when I right-click on a FLAC file and select Play as an application to always open the file with (so there is no Get Info dialog), a score icon is set for that particular file. I now see that this 'score' icon is the Generic.icns.)

So where is the FLAC.icns?!

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:21 am

In the file Info.plist is defined which icon will be used for which document type (15 different document types). For flac files (type: FLAC Audio, extension: flac) the "Generic" icon is defined.

dm1581

Post by dm1581 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:27 pm

I removed Play using AppZapper, emptied the trash, restarted the system and then installed the r1077 version. Well, all the icons are the same.

It is interesting, though, that when I'm selecting the files using Finder's search (even in the same folder), they are shown with the correct 'Generic' icon!