SHN files?

Discuss Play, an open source multi-format audio player.
peacefrog

SHN files?

Post by peacefrog » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:54 am

Hello...I am a newbie here on these boards, and an Apple Mac newbie. After years of having an old Dell, I finally took the plunge and bought an iMac.

Anyway, I friend of mine recommended that I use PLAY software to play my many FLAC files. I have been using PLAY on my new iMac very successfully for about a week now, and I really dig it. I was just curious, does PLAY play SHN files? I have many concerts in SHN format; I would like to use PLAY for both my FLAC and SHN files, but currently PLAY is only playing back the FLAC files. I apologize if this question sounds ignorant...but quite honestly, I just don't know. Do I need yet a third audio software player on my new machine (in addition to iTunes and PLAY) to play back the SHN files?

Thanks much!!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: SHN files?

Post by sbooth » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:23 am

Play does not currently support playback of Shorten files, sorry.

peacefrog

Post by peacefrog » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:40 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Can anyone suggest a good software program which would be able to playback Shorten (SHN) files? My first preference would be to be able to play SHN files in PLAY or even iTunes. I am open to suggestions. Thanks again!!

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:02 pm

Nope. Only hope is to convert SHN to WAV and then into FLAC or ALAC.

haleakalari

Post by haleakalari » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:09 pm

the 0.07 builds of Cog can play shn files perfectly (no choppiness during playback and can seek on shorten files when seek tables are present), Cog also supports a wide assortment of other formats as well.

latest official 0.07 stable build: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cogo ... 2?download
latest offical 0.07 "unstable" build: http://cogx.org/unstable_builds/Cog-r909.tbz

i use the last 0.07 "unstable" build because it sports some new features and is not unstable at all, really. both builds work fine on leopard and tiger as well.

rsdio

Post by rsdio » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:59 pm

I'm impressed that Cog plays SHN. That must have been a bit of work.

The problem with SHN is that the software was never written as a library, but as a standalone program. FLAC came after Shorten, and was designed more intelligently. Because FLAC has a library, it is much easier to incorporate FLAC playback (and recording) into an application. If Shorten had a similar library, then you'd see much better support for it.

Personally, I'd recommend converting all of your SHN files to FLAC. But you can always use Cog.