Replay Gain scan never completes

Discuss Play, an open source multi-format audio player.
RonaldPR

Re: Replay Gain scan never completes

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:14 pm

Scanning ten albums with around 140 tracks is not an exceptional task. I really cannot image what is happening here. With the way Mac OS X handles memory, using advanced paging in and out, it is unusual to run short of RAM and 2GB should be plenty. Do you have enough room available on your hard disk for the swap files? As a rule of thumb 10% of the disk, or at least twice the size of the installed RAM, should be kept freely available at all times.

(Does Play have a memory leak?)

chipbutty

Post by chipbutty » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:59 pm

Hard drive is 150GB. Only half of it is filled.

I've continued scanning the library and it's fine with no more than 7 or 8 albums at a time. Any more than that and it freezes or I get a kernel panic.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:33 am

This is very odd. I will check and see if there is an autorelease pool that can be released somewhere.

Snowrider

Post by Snowrider » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:41 pm

I have Replay Gain scanning individually 125 albums and I expect Play to be running for >24 hrs. I looked at some tags to see if they were written and I couldn't see any updated tags. When are the tags written during the process? Am I trying to do too many files at once? I am 8 hours into the process and system checks looks fine (CPU, memory). Should I be worried that Play will not finish the process properly?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:23 am

The tags are written after the scan is completed, in a batch. I don't think you should have any issues, but if you do, please report them here.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:31 am

Snowrider writes about expecting Play to take >24h to finish adding ReplayGain tags to 125 albums. Is this a plausible figure? I have around 6500 songs in my collection and the scan process is running for almost 24h now. Other than the scan dialog hiding a part of the main Play window, Play seems to work fine. So far I could do anything I could get my mouse on. The rest of my system is snappy as ever. Still I would like to shut it down some time in the future. ;-) Is there any hope? The machine is a MacBook with 2*2,4 GHz Intel processor and 4 GB RAM.

ginopalletta

Post by ginopalletta » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:05 pm

hello,
sbooth wrote:The tags are written after the scan is completed, in a batch. I don't think you should have any issues, but if you do, please report them here.
is this because to calculate the gain values you need to have all information about all tracks available at the same time to determine the relative correct gain values?
What happens then if i have a zillion tracks??

giuseppe