Play FAQ?

Discuss Play, an open source multi-format audio player.
willfriedwald

Play FAQ?

Post by willfriedwald » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:57 pm

I just came across a mention of "Play" at Apple.com.

Is there a basic FAQ for the program somewhere? Would like to know how it differs from iTunes.

(I would love to hear that it has a more robust database backbone - something like mySQL instead of XML, which, I believe, is what's holding iTunes back.)

thanks and Happy New Year!

w

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Play FAQ?

Post by sbooth » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:33 am

There is no FAQ right now, but to answer your two questions (in brief):
  • Play supports many more formats than iTunes, including FLAC, Musepack, WavPack, and Ogg Vorbis
  • Play uses sqlite for storage

willfriedwald

Post by willfriedwald » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:07 pm

thanks so much for your feedback.

Do you know if anyone is using PLAY with a very large music library? I have had a lot of experience with iTunes, and I find that the main drawback of the program is that it tends to slow down and ultimately choke with very large libraries (of the sort that I have) of 300-400-500 GB and up.

will definitely give PLAY a try (give PLAY some play) and see what happens -

sqlite is, I believe, a better database background than XML; I've also tried Amarok on linux, which uses full mySQL and is the best of all (for large libraries), but unfortunately only exists for linux. But will give PLAY a try and see how it goes.

thanks very much!

W

PS: if you feel like reading more on my experiences with mega-huge music libraries, check the link below:

http://www.glennwolsey.com/?s=friedwald

http://www.glennwolsey.com/2007/04/19/i ... ollection/

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:47 pm

I would love to hear your experiences; Play has not been tested with libraries of that size! My personal library is only around 5,000 tracks but Play seems to handle it fairly well once it is up and running.

willfriedwald

Post by willfriedwald » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:59 pm

thanks for the feedback!

am going to try PLAY tom'w on the G5 in my office - will give it a try with an external eSATA hard drive of 320 GB.

I just tried here on my old reliable G3 iBook; I was able to download the program and uncompress it okay (I think) but for some reason, the program won't open. Everytime I click the icon, it starts to open, and I start to see it in the doc but then quickly stops before it properly opens.

Could be that I don't have enough power on this G3 iBook to run it? (900 MHz, 640 MB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

anyhow, will try again tom'w on the G5 desktop.

thaks!

W

willfriedwald

Post by willfriedwald » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:52 pm

Okay, I tried opening PLAY on the G5 - no problem.

I brought in 3 albums, and played a track fine, again no problem.

then, tried hitting "determine PUID" - just to see what would happen - I still have no idea what that does, it seems to have completely frozen the program. After waiting 30 minutes, am now going to force quit, and try again, try some other things.

---

started it again - the same three albums were in there - it seems to have frozen again after I dragged one album (14 tracks) into the player queue.

it's playing, but frozen - doesn't appear to unfreeze - and, interestingly, when this happens with most programs, the OS tells me ""program not responding" - that isn't happening here, so am not sure if it's just not telling the system that, or it really isn't frozen. will keep trying.

it looks very good - I like the concept of "watch folders" - amarok has them, it doesn't re-assemble your whole library the way iTunes does (and takes a very long time doing).

I may try restarting and reloading with a larger collection-library before lunch... ah, here's a 50 GB folder of original cast albums, let's see how it does with that...

thanks!

w

willfriedwald

Post by willfriedwald » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:01 pm

Hope you don't mind all these updates...

I added 50 GB of tracks to the program two hours ago - it still seems to be adding them - that seems like a long time (longer, I think, than iT would take).

However, it does NOT seem to have completely frozen - I can still play tracks - am not quite sure what's going on - I can let it go for a while, or I can quit (or force quit).

thanks again for your kind indulgence & Happy New Year,

W

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:12 pm

Are you using Play 0.3? What format are the files?

willfriedwald

Post by willfriedwald » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:13 pm

yes, this is .3 - the files are mostly mp3 and AAC - it's still "adding" them to the library, after five hours - will have to force quit in 30 minutes or so...

thanks!

w

maxlover

Post by maxlover » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:12 pm

sbooth wrote:I would love to hear your experiences; Play has not been tested with libraries of that size! My personal library is only around 5,000 tracks but Play seems to handle it fairly well once it is up and running.
I ripped 960 albums, using Max and saving as single-file FLAC with cue. Total volume is 278 Gigabytes (288 10e9 bytes). Importing those files in Play and building the library from scratch takes 63 seconds. The library then contains 15103 'streams'. When Play is closed, reopening it is almost instantaneous. So is the selection of tracks by artist, album, composer. Quite ipmpressive... (MacBook 2GHz with 2 GB of memory, files on external USB2 500 GB disk).

Unfortunately, I am not able to actually use this music library, since the title of all tracks is 'Pistes multiples'. 15103 times 'Pistes multiples'... I really hope to see a solution to this inconvenience some day.