strange bug in 1054 tiger

Discuss Play, an open source multi-format audio player.
stamfar

strange bug in 1054 tiger

Post by stamfar » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:14 pm

When i make a playlist with some songs (just dragging some files to the play queue), Play plays the first song, then plays the next song but still shows the last song´s info and the timeline marker rests at the at the end of the first song.
And the loudspeaker icon indicates that it is still playing the first song ..
it then continues to play that second song in loop..
if i try to skip to the third track it says player stopped but the second song just start again, when the song is over Play stops playing.

Hope i was able to describe the problem clearly, i first thought it was something weird with the mp3s i was playing last night, but now it happened again with some other files.

RonaldPR

Re: strange bug in 1054 tiger

Post by RonaldPR » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:48 pm

This does not happen here with r1054 in 10.4.10 on Intel. Tracks are played as expected and all visual indicators work as expected. I use flac files only.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:30 am

I've noticed similar behavior before as well. I am reworking a little bit of the internal buffer handling to try and remedy the issue; it is especially pronounced for files that are close to the buffer size.

stamfar

Post by stamfar » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:44 pm

Yeah just found out it´s reproducible with the same songs,
just strange i ran into the problem two days in a row on two albums i´m fairly certain I have played before without this
happening.
In fact, I have never seen this happen before, and I have been using Play on a daily basis for months now.
Could it have gotten worse with 1054?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:52 am

No, none of that code really changed in r1054. I'm not sure why it didn't appear until now. Are these MP3 files or another format?

stamfar

Post by stamfar » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:06 am

Yes, both albums are in mp3 format encoded with iTunes 6.
I can´t say I´m really 100% sure I´v played them before in play, so that might be my memory playing some tricks on me.

edit: but as I said, it has never happened before on any files , so I naturally thought that it had to be connected with r1054.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:42 pm

It's possibly related to the accurate seeking for LAME MP3s I implemented for r1054. I didn't have any non-LAME encoded MP3s for testing.

bichenoubi

Post by bichenoubi » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:39 pm

All the same problems here, except that the second song doesn't play in lopp, it just continue playing with a third song and so on.

I'm using 1054 on leopard

stamfar

Post by stamfar » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:04 pm

yeah I´v noticed it´s happening on quite a lot of my files now after playing music the last days.
It must be connected to the new build. (well i did not try the last two because they didn't work in tiger)

Nils

Post by Nils » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:25 pm

Just wanted to let you know I just had this happen with a few flac files. The same thing happens: Play plays the first song and then starts repeating the second song while still showing the info for the first song. Though for me this only happens with about %50 of my library. I don't know if anyone else has this, but for me play always says '4971' for time left when it starts to repeat. A couple of screenshots to show what I mean. I'm using Play-r1054 on Leopard. Hope that helps somewhat.

Nils
Attachments
Play 2.png
MP3 of Pixies Doolittle, has played second song Tame a few times now. Time left is '4971'
Play 1.png
Radiohead single in FLAC, just starting a second play of Gagging Order

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:10 pm

Should be fixed in r1057- please let me know if it isn't!

Nils

Post by Nils » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:53 pm

sbooth wrote:Should be fixed in r1057- please let me know if it isn't!
Everything seems to be working great, thanks so much!

bichenoubi

Post by bichenoubi » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:48 am

Hi, I was having this problem with 1054 and with 1057 it was resolved.

I'm now using 1069.
Well, this problem happedned again. Let me explain how.

I was editing multiple files simultaneously and when I clicked on the "OK" button, Play hanged for a while. As I was near the end of a song (Play was playing while editing tags), that song ended before Play returned responsive again. Even if Play was not responsive, the next song began to play, but the bug then happened. I had to close and reopen Play to make it work correctly.

BTW, Play seems to have a strange behavior. For example, if I edit only one field of a track and click "Ok", then the changes don't apply. You have to go in another field (by pressing the tab key for example) to make the changes happen, and surprisly, that change happens rigth away, even before clicking on the OK button. Well, for what I experienced, the ok button doesn't seem to do anything except closing the editing window.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:47 am

bichenoubi wrote:I was editing multiple files simultaneously and when I clicked on the "OK" button, Play hanged for a while. As I was near the end of a song (Play was playing while editing tags), that song ended before Play returned responsive again. Even if Play was not responsive, the next song began to play, but the bug then happened. I had to close and reopen Play to make it work correctly.
This is a known issue. When a metadata editing sheet is opened, Play begins to cache all the changes made to any stream objects. When the sheet is closed, the changes are written to the database all at once. If another action (replay gain scanning, playback completing) attempts to initiate a transaction while one is in progress the creation will fail since nested transactions are not allowed. I have been looking into the best way to resolve this for a while now.
BTW, Play seems to have a strange behavior. For example, if I edit only one field of a track and click "Ok", then the changes don't apply. You have to go in another field (by pressing the tab key for example) to make the changes happen, and surprisly, that change happens rigth away, even before clicking on the OK button. Well, for what I experienced, the ok button doesn't seem to do anything except closing the editing window.
To make the changes stick, you have to either press enter or tab out of the text field that is being edited.

scurvy

Post by scurvy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:20 am

Should be fixed in r1057- please let me know if it isn't!
I'm having this issue with FLAC files in everything post 0.1-something. I even tried using the latest unstable build, but it exhibits the same "stuck on first track" behavior. MP3's work fine, FLAC files created with Max just fail. I've also noticed that the broken FLAC files also don't update the Last.fm scrobbler, while the MP3's do. Any kind of debugging flags or logs that would be helpful to troubleshoot the issue?