Problem with special characters

Discuss Play, an open source multi-format audio player.
Brent

Problem with special characters

Post by Brent » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:08 pm

Some files aren't added to Play, no matter what. The filenames contain characters like "é". Can that be the reason?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Problem with special characters

Post by sbooth » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:40 pm

Brent wrote:Some files aren't added to Play, no matter what. The filenames contain characters like "é". Can that be the reason?
Can you give some specifics on the file format, sample rate/number of channels, etc? I wouldn't think special characters would be the cause but I will investigate.

Brent

Post by Brent » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:17 pm

It's an ordinairy FLAC, stereo 16bit 44.1KHz, encoded with FLAC 1.1.2, freshly ripped from CD. I ripped pretty much all my FLAC's in the same way, that's why this was the only thing I could think of. It doesn't use strange tags, I use a standard scheme for all my FLAC's, including these. The only deviation I can think of is the use of that character in tags and filename.

I noticed something strage: Finder doesn't allow me to move these files to my Desktop either. I checked permissions, all is OK, but this indicates it's not a problem with Play.

[edit]
Aha! VLC can't play it either and says it encountered an error with "Ali Farka ToureÃÅ & Toumani DiabateÃÅ - In The Heart Of The Moon - 07 - Ai Ga Bani.flac'". where the error shows "eÃÅ", Finder displays the "é". It appears the character is the culprit, but I'm not sure what to do.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:59 pm

Could be a text encoding problem. Try to completely re-enter (re-type, not copy) the file name in the Finder.

You cannot move the file to your desktop? Where does the file reside now?

Edit: There need not be problems with accented characters. I use flac files with accented characters in both tags and file names without problems.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:20 am

I ran a few simple tests, and Play handles files with special characters in their filenames correctly. I'm not sure what the issue is with your FLAC file, but RonaldPR's suggestion of a text encoding problem sounds reasonable to me. Can you open the file in Tag and see what the metadata looks like, or can you not open the file at all?

Brent

Post by Brent » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:31 am

The file is located on an external drive, which is formatted as NTFS. I'm using NTFS-3g though MacFuse. I spoke with NTFS-3g for Mac developer and he says there indeed is a problem with MacFuse. I can fix it by knowing the encoding used on the drive and telling MacFuse, but I don't so I can't solve. But it's no problem with Play at least.