2 requests: genre/album/artist-pan & buffer

Discuss Play, an open source multi-format audio player.
Brent

2 requests: genre/album/artist-pan & buffer

Post by Brent » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:41 pm

Hello and thanks for this nice piece of software. It's really clean and lean, even mean! It's really great to have a library app for OSX with FLAC support.

There are two gripes I have however.

One is that I'd like a pane, like there's one in Itunes, with all artists/albums/genres for easy and fast selection. I know something like this can be done already thhrough the Browser, but thaat' less convienient and not on everytime the program starts. Navigating by album/artist/genre seems a natural way to me to navigate so such a pane would seem beneficial to about everyone.

Second, I have my music on an external drive. For some reason this causes Play to skip every ten seconds or so, sometimes 20. A bit annoying, and I assume this could be fixed by buffering a small amount or perhaps even the entire song (perhaps provide a setting for the length).

Other than this, it's a great app so I really hope this can be included in the next release, if possible. Thanks.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: 2 requests: genre/album/artist-pan & buffer

Post by sbooth » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:39 am

Brent wrote:Second, I have my music on an external drive. For some reason this causes Play to skip every ten seconds or so, sometimes 20. A bit annoying, and I assume this could be fixed by buffering a small amount or perhaps even the entire song (perhaps provide a setting for the length).
If you double the values for the buffers in the Advanced preference pane does the skipping go away?

Brent

Post by Brent » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:18 am

I have double-checked now, but I can't find the advanced prferences pane. I can only see "Preferences", and then "General", "Hotkeys" and "Output". Possibly that just means I need to have my eyes examined ;) but I really can't find it.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:08 pm

You must be using 0.1.2- the Advanced pane was added a few unstable builds ago but hasn't been incorporated into a stable release. Can you try the latest unstable build (r948 currently) and see if that helps things?

Brent

Post by Brent » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:54 pm

Yes, I was using 0.1.2. I downloaded the latest unstable and doubled the buffer values and that seems to solve the problem, so thats great! Problem solved.

I though of another feature that would be nice: control with the Apple Remote. I tried setting the hotkeys with it, but it doesn't seem to 'see' the remote.

Any comment on album/artist/genre-pane?

Brent

Post by Brent » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:46 pm

Guess that's a no?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:39 pm

Brent wrote:I though of another feature that would be nice: control with the Apple Remote. I tried setting the hotkeys with it, but it doesn't seem to 'see' the remote.

Any comment on album/artist/genre-pane?
Please submit feature requests to the tracker so I can keep up with them more easily. I consider all feature requests- in this case the album/artist/genre pane would be something I will contemplate for the release after next.

Brent

Post by Brent » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:26 pm

OK, I did that and it's good to hear you're looking into it! Thank you!